The Pear Shaped Women's Guide to Party Dresses
Posted on 14 July 2016
We're here with a new blog post. Today, we'll be discussing the dos and don'ts of buying a cocktail dress if you're a pear shaped woman. Pear is one of the most common body shapes. With the emergence of big booty trends, people all over the world recognize the beauty of a curvaceous body. If you're a pear shaped woman, you primarily put on weight on your hips, butt and thighs.
If you're a pear shaped woman, you primarily put on weight on your hips, butt and thighs. An easy way to find out if you're a pear shape is by measuring the ratio of your waist (upper part) to your hips. If the hips are double the size of your waist, you might be a pear shape.
Pear shaped women are blessed with many assets like slimmer arms, a tiny waist, and slim calves. On the other hand, the mid-section is generally considered the problem area of this type. Finding the perfect dress that minimizes your problem areas while highlighting your curves can be challenging. This is especially true for party dresses which are mostly bodycon and cater to a straight frame.
There's no need to worry, though. Today we have a few tips for you to keep in mind while selecting the perfect party/ cocktail dress.
- Go for dresses that highlight your assets- boat necks, off-shoulder, padded, halter necklines and strapless necklines were made for you. Pretty much anything looks good on you as far as the upper half goes.
- Opt for cuts that skim through your lower half while highlighting your waist- cinched waists and a-lines are perennial. For a more tailored look, add a belt that highlights your dainty waist.
- Opt for slimming colors on the lower half- dark colors are usually a good idea.
- Choose well-tailored clothes that enhance your silhouette.
- Go for longer necklaces and pieces to create the illusion of a longer torso.
- Wear heels to elongate your legs and enhance your silhouette.
- Do not opt for figure hugging, bodycon dresses or flimsy dresses (eg: spandex, jersey etc.) unless you feel comfortable in them. Tailored cuts work better for your shape compared to shapeless ones.
- Avoid slim-fit and stretchy items of clothing. Opt for fabrics that retain their shape and texture (cotton, linen) over ones that do not (spandex, jersey).
We hope you enjoyed the article today. Let us know what your favorite tip was.
As a reminder, we're still accepting sign-ups for our Wine Nights Collection campaign's pre-launch. This collection contains three versatile cocktail dresses which are perfect for pear-shaped women. Sign up to be notified when the campaign launches and avail early bird discounts here.